• Abous us
  • Search database
  • Resources
  • Donate
  • Faq


26th Infantry Regiment

<< Back to Merode Castle


On the outside brick wall of the building. Plaque A bronze plaque mounted on a marble backing with English text. The insignias of the First Infantry Division and the 26th Infantry Regiment are at the corners of the plaque.

Monument Text:

To commemorate the

26th Infantry Regiment

“Blue Spader”

1st Infantry Division – “big red one

and their attached units


“A” Company – 634th Tank Destroyer Battalion

“B” Company – 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion

“Ce” Company – 745th Tank Battalion

“B” Battery – 33rd Field Artillery Battalion


Tthis plaque is dedicated to the officers, noncommissioned officers and enlisted men who fought during the period of 16 November through 5 December 1944 against resolute German resistance in the bitter coldness and darkness of the forest, towns, and sites of Schevenhütte, Franzosenkreuz, Laufenburg Castle, Hill 272, Hill 244, Jüngersdorf, and at this location in Merode where the 2nd Battalion – 26th Infantry (Co. E and F) lost more than 300 soldiers on November 29 and 30th, 1944.


May the sacrifice of these brave men be not in vain!

No mission too difficult! No sacrifice to great! Do the first!



1st Infantry Division

26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division

33rd Field Artillery Battalion, 1st Infantry Division

634th Tank Destroyer Battalion

745th Tank Battalion

87th Chemical Mortar Battalion



Other images :