Menu
  • Abous us
  • Search database
  • Resources
  • Donate
  • Faq

 

Details:

Located on the north side of the road. Monument Large stone monument with a staircase on each side and a vertical staircase in the middle. The monuments were paid for via a French national subscription and inaugurated on 6 October 1937 in presence of Albert Lebrun, President of the French Republic, and of General Pershing. The monuments included two temporary plaster statues, which were removed in 1941 due to their degradation. Work of the architect Jacques Carlu, co-designer of the Palais de Chaillot in Paris, the two monumental bases were both meant to support a bronze statue: the one of La Fayette, realized by the America sculptor Barlett and presented to France by the children of the American schools, and the one of Pershing, realized by the statue maker Joachim Costa. Due to insufficient funds, the two bronze statues were never placed on top of the monument as planned after the inauguration. A second national Committee was formed in 1951, but the monument was still not completed. It fell into disrepair, and was renovated in 2010-2011.  The permanent statues were finally added in 2017.

Monument Text:

General J.J. Pershing

Lafayette Nous Voici

Bois-Belleau, Cantigny, Villers-Cotterets, L'Argonne, La Meuse, Canal De St. Quentin, St. Mihiel

Commemorates:

People:

John Joseph "Black Jack" Pershing

Units:

American Expeditionary Forces (AEF)

United States Army

Wars:

WWI

Other images :