Air Forces Memorial Tablet - Cottesmore Church
On the left-hand side below and near the altar.
A rectangular stone tablet set into the wall, inscribed with simple text in English in incised and red lettering. Beneath the tablet is a corbelled, angled stone ledge supporting a glazed-top, shallow molded wooden case, housing what appears to be an opened Roll of Honor book. This tablet commemorates the British and American Air Forces who were stationed here and gave their lives for the Allied cause in the Second World War. Above this tablet are two plaques in memory of named British airmen.
RAF Cottesmore is a former Royal Air Force station in Rutland, England, situated between Cottesmore and Market Overton. On 8 September 1943 the United States Army Air Forces took the facilities over, under the designation USAAF Station 489, flying troop transport aircraft. In anticipation of the station's future use by airborne forces, 32 Horsa gliders were delivered for storage in July 1943.
The 316th Troop Carrier Group began to arrive at Cottesmore on 15 February 1944 when 52 C-47 and C-53 transports began flying in from Borizzo Afld., Sicily. Operational squadrons and fuselage codes of the group were:
- 36th Troop Carrier Squadron (4C)
- 37th Troop Carrier Squadron (W7)
- 44th Troop Carrier Squadron (6E)
- 45th Troop Carrier Squadron (T3)
Cottesmore was officially handed back to the RAF on 1 July 1945.
Source of information: www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk, Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, en.wikipedia.org
Source of photos: www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk, geograph.org.uk
THIS CHAPEL IS DEDICATED TO
THE MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS
AND MEN OF THE BRITISH AND
AMERICAN AIR FORCES STATIONED
AT COTTESMORE WHO GAVE THEIR
LIVES FOR FREEDOM
“THE WAY OF LIFE GOETH UPWARD”