490th Bomb Group Memorial Plaque
On the left wall in front of the memorial shelter.
A rectangular metal plaque inscribed in English in raised lettering. It commemorates the 490th Bomb Group and supporting units that were stationed at RAF Eye during World War II.
The aerodrome at Eye was one of the last wartime airfields to be built in Suffolk. It was opened on 1 May 1944 and used by the 490th Bombardment Group of the US Army Air Forces. The group formed part of the 8th Air Force's 3rd Bombardment Group (Heavy) and had the lowest loss rate of all the 8th USAAF bombardment groups.
In November 1945 the aerodrome was transferred to RAF Bomber Command and finally sold off by the Air Ministry during 1962/63. Over the years parts of the airfield including the former technical site were developed into an industrial area. A handful of the original buildings have survived on the technical site. The remaining land is once again mainly in agricultural use.
Source of information: Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, geograph.org.uk
Source of photos: Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register
848 - 849 - 850 - 851
B24 SQUADRONS B17
AND THE SUPPORTING
UNITS WHO KEPT US
1944 FLYING 1945
490th Bombardment Group
848th Bombardment Squadron
849th Bomber Squadron, 490th Bombardment Group, Heavy
850th Bomber Squadron, 490th Bomber Group, Heavy
851st Bombardment Squadron
8th Air Force
US Army Air Corps
Other images :