Friendship Plaque Station 134
On the right wall in front of the memorial shelter.
A rectangular metal plaque inscribed in English in raised lettering. It commemorates the lasting friendship and cooperation shared by the former personnel of Station 134 or RAF Eye and the people of Eye, Brome, and surrounding areas that started during World War II. The plaque was unveiled in 1984.
The aerodrome at Eye was one of the last wartime airfields to be built in Suffolk. It was opened on 1 May 1944 and used by the 490th Bombardment Group of the US Army Air Forces. The group formed part of the 8th Air Force's 3rd Bombardment Group (Heavy) and had the lowest loss rate of all the 8th USAAF bombardment groups.
In November 1945 the aerodrome was transferred to RAF Bomber Command and finally sold off by the Air Ministry during 1962/63. Over the years parts of the airfield including the former technical site were developed into an industrial area. A handful of the original buildings have survived on the technical site. The remaining land is once again mainly in agricultural use.
Source of information: Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, geograph.org.uk
Source of photos: Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register
1944 FRIENDSHIP 1984
CO - OPERATION
FORMER PERSONNEL OF
STATION 134 USAAF AND
THE PEOPLE OF EYE, BROME
AND SURROUNDING UNITS
US Army Air Corps
Other images :