4th, 5th, 76th and 83rd Infantry Divisions
This monument can be found at the entrance to a riverside bike path, along the far end of the Echternach bus station parking lot.
Monument The memorial is a large stone about 4ft (1.25m) high with a plaque commemorating the battlefield efforts of the 4th, 5th 76th and 83rd Infantry Divisions in World War II. The 4th, 5th and 83rd Divisions held Echternach between October and December 1944. In February 1945, the 76th Infantry Division liberated Echternach a second time, ending Nazi control of the city.
The monument is situated on a stone platform amongst a small garden.
The plaque text reads:
"IN GRATITUDE TO THE VALIANT SOLDIERS OF THE 83D-4TH AND 5TH U.S. INF. DIVS. WHO LIBERATED THE CITY OF ECHTERNACH, OCT.-DEC. 1944, AND TO THE 76TH U.S/ INF. DIV. WHO CROSSED THE RIVER SAUER HERE ON FEB.-7-1945
ENDING THE NAZI OPPRESSION OF OUR COUNTRY
THE CITIZENS OF ECHTERNACH"