Runnymede Memorial (Egham)
The Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede commemorates by name over 20,000 men and women of the air forces, who were lost in the Second World War during operations from bases in the United Kingdom and North and Western Europe, and who have no known graves. They served in Bomber, Fighter, Coastal, Transport, Flying Training and Maintenance Commands, and came from all parts of the Commonwealth. Some were from countries in continental Europe which had been overrun but whose airmen continued to fight in the ranks of the Royal Air Force.
The memorial was designed by Sir Edward Maufe with sculpture by Vernon Hill. The engraved glass and painted ceilings were designed by John Hutton and the poem engraved on the gallery window was written by Paul H Scott. The Memorial was unveiled by The Queen on 17 October 1953.
Although it was illegal for them to do so, hundreds of Americans enlisted in the Commonwealth Armed Forces before the United States entered the war. These cases are extremely hard to track as they mostly used falsified documents to do so. Those Americans that were missing in action while flying for the Commonwealth are also honored on this memorial.
Cooper's Hill Ln, Englefield Green , TW20 0LB , Egham , Surrey , England , UK
The Runnymede Air Forces Memorial stands upon the crest of Coopers Hill overlooking the river Thames and the field of Runnymede (a historical area near where the Magna Carta was signed). The site is on Englefield Green between Windsor and Egham on the A308, 4 miles from Windsor in Surrey. Follow signs for the Air Forces Memorial. The memorial is open daily between 9:00am-16:00pm.
Map reference (click on pin to see Lat/Long):
51.437589 -0.564820 Cooper's Hill Ln, Englefield Green
Flag Poles :